Thursday, May 7, 2009

Comic book movies



So this summer seems kind of light on comic book movies. Watchmen came and went, but that’s not really a summer movie. There’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which I intend on seeing pretty soon. I’ve heard mixed reviews about it, but some of the bad reviews don’t sound too bad to me. Too many superheroes? Too much mindless action? What’s that??? Last year’s bumper crop would have been hard to top, so maybe Hollywood decided to tap a few other sources for ideas. Seems like it’s 80’s toys this year.

Transformers 2 is coming. I’d like to see that one, but I think I’ll wait for the DVD. Nothing against the movie or giant robots, but I’m not quite pumped enough to get off my butt and go to a theater. Giant robots are awesome, but let’s just hope they don’t have those robots peeing on anyone this time around. That scene in Transformers was like a kidney stone. Once it passed, everything after that was just BETTER. Ahhhhhhh…..

I’m actually pumped for GI Joe. I had two Transformers figures, but just about anything GI Joe. There’s not a lot of ways this movie could go wrong for me. I’m not such a purist that I expect the movie to follow all the jumbled back stories from cartoons, comics and whatever else. All I want to see are reasonable depictions of the Joes blowing stuff up. Even if this movie is bad, it’ll probably SO bad that it’ll be great. Just watch some Made For Sci-Fi Channel movies to know what I’m talking about here.

Huh? Snake Eyes looks great!
And Baroness….ahhh Baroness. I remember looking at her action figure as a kid. Then I’d look at her in comic books and on the little cardboard cutout file card on the back of her action figure’s box thinking, “Wow! Bad girls in glasses are HOT!”

I’ve got my tickets for Star Trek, so my summer movie season will start there. To make up for the lack of comic book flicks, here’s a sneak peek at the climactic battle sequence for Iron Man 2.




This is what happens without editors

I'm Marcus Pelegrimas, author of the SKINNERS series. Here you'll find various ramblings about movies, video games, TV, and...oh yeah...those books I write. If there's anything you'd like to discuss, just let me know. I try to update whenever the mood strikes me, so feel free to leave comments. There may be some occasional foul language, but anyone who's too easily offended probably doesn't read my stuff anyway.

Free Stuff

Here's how it goes. As usual, I've got my truckload of promo covers from EOS Books. I'll be going to some conventions, so I hope to see you there and I'll gladly sign your books. If you can't make it to a con, just email me your name, address and any inscription so I can send you a signed cover.


BONUS ---> If you would be so kind as to write up a review for any or all Skinners books and publish it on a site like Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Borders, or any other major review site, I can send you something extra. I made up some bookmarks (which I'll sign) and I've even put together some Shimmy's VIP passes (which I'll also sign). Can't guarantee the passes will get you into a real strip club, but I think they look pretty cool. Send me a link to your review along with your name, address and inscription, and I'll get these out to you as well.