Saturday, February 2, 2008

Watch your step, Brett


I've just heard that Brett Ratner is in the front running to direct the Wolf Man remake. Actually, I just found out there was going to be a Wolf Man remake. I don't know if I'm liking the sound of this one. On one hand, the new effects could make the new Wolf Man look really cool. On the other hand, the best werewolf of all time was done with real-world physical effects. Of course I'm talking about American Werewolf in London.
Now, AWiL is a COMPLETELY different sort of movie than Wolf Man. I know this. Even for when Wolf Man was made, it still looks pretty cool. It's got an otherworldly quality that all those old Universal monster movies had. Plus, those old flicks have a special place in my heart anyway.
Ok, so it seems I'm pretty much against the idea of a remake.
Now, as far as Ratner is concerned, I don't hate the guy. Get ready to pelt me, but I didn't mind X3. I didn't say I loved it, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I thought Beast looked cool and there were some cool actions scenes. Was it accuarate to the comics? No. HELL NO. It was a fun popcorn movie and I like those. Do I want to see Wolf Man turned into a fun popcorn movie? It already is. Wolf Man doesn't need better effects and will actually lose something by being modernized. I honestly don't think Ratner has the savvy to make this project anything but a waste of time.
So, I guess I'm against Ratner directing.
You wanna know the kicker? Even if this movie is made and Ratner is at the helm decked out in full Ratnericity, I'll still go see it. Actually I'll rent it. How's that? I'm weak, ok?

This is what happens without editors

I'm Marcus Pelegrimas, author of the SKINNERS series. Here you'll find various ramblings about movies, video games, TV, and...oh yeah...those books I write. If there's anything you'd like to discuss, just let me know. I try to update whenever the mood strikes me, so feel free to leave comments. There may be some occasional foul language, but anyone who's too easily offended probably doesn't read my stuff anyway.

Free Stuff

Here's how it goes. As usual, I've got my truckload of promo covers from EOS Books. I'll be going to some conventions, so I hope to see you there and I'll gladly sign your books. If you can't make it to a con, just email me your name, address and any inscription so I can send you a signed cover.


BONUS ---> If you would be so kind as to write up a review for any or all Skinners books and publish it on a site like Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Borders, or any other major review site, I can send you something extra. I made up some bookmarks (which I'll sign) and I've even put together some Shimmy's VIP passes (which I'll also sign). Can't guarantee the passes will get you into a real strip club, but I think they look pretty cool. Send me a link to your review along with your name, address and inscription, and I'll get these out to you as well.