Thursday, January 22, 2009

The mind-blowing excitement that is a writer's life


Been playing through the first Gears of War with my wife. Megan is actually a damn good sniper! With TV just starting to come around again, we've been playing more games during the time we'd normally be plopped in front of the set. This is where I really don't see why non-gamers give us such a hard time for playing through a video game instead of engaging in "normal" activities like watching Momma's Boys or Flashpoint. I thought Flashpoint would just be some action cop show about a SWAT team. The commercials were filled with guys in black tactical gear kicking down doors and yelling, so I wasn't jumping to conclusions here. The episode I tuned in for was about a crazy woman who'd gotten some bad news and then promptly went off the deep end with a knife firmly in hand. At one point, she dropped the knife and was wrestling with her hostage and the cops STILL didn't bust down the door. Now, keep in mind, the cops were outside listening, watching through a window and poised at the door WITH A BATTERING RAM! All I'm saying is don't advertise an action show and then deliver half an hour of some lady's breakdown topped off by an armored tactical response to a garbled 911 call. My wife was nearby and thought I was watching a bad Lifetime movie.


Anyway, Gears. Yeah. Megan can snap off some great head shots while under fire. I was very impressed. She catches flack from her sisters about me turning her into a gamer, but it's just as productive as voting for the next American Idol. Granted, I'm watching the new season just for the train wreck auditions. Timeless television. I've also got high hopes for the new show, Lie to Me. That looks cool. Fringe is back with new episodes. BSG is back. I nearly stopped recording CSI once Grissom left, but Laurence Fishburne is doing a great job so I'll keep the "Series Record" option on the DVR in tact. We also just got the second disc in the BBC Jeckyl series from Netflix, so we've got some good "normal" stuff to keep our eyes busy.


That's it for today's rambling. Back to work....

This is what happens without editors

I'm Marcus Pelegrimas, author of the SKINNERS series. Here you'll find various ramblings about movies, video games, TV, and...oh yeah...those books I write. If there's anything you'd like to discuss, just let me know. I try to update whenever the mood strikes me, so feel free to leave comments. There may be some occasional foul language, but anyone who's too easily offended probably doesn't read my stuff anyway.

Free Stuff

Here's how it goes. As usual, I've got my truckload of promo covers from EOS Books. I'll be going to some conventions, so I hope to see you there and I'll gladly sign your books. If you can't make it to a con, just email me your name, address and any inscription so I can send you a signed cover.


BONUS ---> If you would be so kind as to write up a review for any or all Skinners books and publish it on a site like Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Borders, or any other major review site, I can send you something extra. I made up some bookmarks (which I'll sign) and I've even put together some Shimmy's VIP passes (which I'll also sign). Can't guarantee the passes will get you into a real strip club, but I think they look pretty cool. Send me a link to your review along with your name, address and inscription, and I'll get these out to you as well.