Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A glimmer in my eye


I've been gearing up to really dig in to Skinners 3 and it amazes me what a strange process this early stage truly is. Basically, I've had the main skeletal structure of the story in place for some time. There's a lot I want to happen and certain things I want to change, progress, whatever. So I let it all sit in the back of my head until it starts to congeal like a Jello salad with chunks of pineapple and peaches and any other canned fruit you had sitting around. Now I want Jello. Finally, and usually while I'm about to fall asleep or in the shower or watching TV, something falls into place. I jump up, write it down. Go back to what I was doing. Wait for more.

It's all very random. Some of my ideas make me wonder what the hell I was thinking and why anyone would pay me to write this crap down. Others become novels. A lot of this process seems like some version of insanity. Just sitting there quietly, listening to the voices and trying to make sense of what they're telling me.

Even stranger is the fact that the voices really DO come up with some good stuff! Fear not. Book 3 is going to be great. I'm VERY anxious to sink my teeth into it and do some things that I've been meaning to do since Blood Blade. For readers, this process must be strange as well, since I'm talking about all of this when Book 2 isn't even out yet. What a weird business. God, I love it!

This is what happens without editors

I'm Marcus Pelegrimas, author of the SKINNERS series. Here you'll find various ramblings about movies, video games, TV, and...oh yeah...those books I write. If there's anything you'd like to discuss, just let me know. I try to update whenever the mood strikes me, so feel free to leave comments. There may be some occasional foul language, but anyone who's too easily offended probably doesn't read my stuff anyway.

Free Stuff

Here's how it goes. As usual, I've got my truckload of promo covers from EOS Books. I'll be going to some conventions, so I hope to see you there and I'll gladly sign your books. If you can't make it to a con, just email me your name, address and any inscription so I can send you a signed cover.


BONUS ---> If you would be so kind as to write up a review for any or all Skinners books and publish it on a site like Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Borders, or any other major review site, I can send you something extra. I made up some bookmarks (which I'll sign) and I've even put together some Shimmy's VIP passes (which I'll also sign). Can't guarantee the passes will get you into a real strip club, but I think they look pretty cool. Send me a link to your review along with your name, address and inscription, and I'll get these out to you as well.