Tuesday, February 10, 2009

GTA DLC? Yeah, you know me!

It won’t be long until the new downloadable content for Grand Theft Auto 4 will be out and it looks really cool. The Lost and Damned is a whole new storyline involving a biker gang that looks a lot like a playable version of Sons of Anarchy. If you haven’t seen it, Sons of Anarchy is a show that started up right around when The Shield was winding down. It’s between seasons right now, but look it up and watch it ASAP. Sons was a pleasant surprise with some excellent writing, a top notch cast, and I’m VERY glad I found it when it started.

Anyway, The Lost and Damned looks freaking great. My only problem is that (like most other open-world games…see earlier entry about Oblivion and Fallout 3) I’ve been playing GTA4 for a good long while without scratching the real surface of the game. Sure, I’ve been picking my way through the campaign, but there’s been many a night spent wandering down the street, blowing stuff up, buying hot dogs from vendors, hijacking a fire truck, spraying said hot dog vendor and then running over the poor bastard when he tries to scurry away. Can you believe the cops actually respond with armed force to a call like that?

So I’m faced with a problem. I really want to get The Lost and Damned, but there’s still a LOT I need to do in the GTA4 I’ve already got. Sure, I don’t have to get it right away. It’s not going anywhere. It’ll wait patiently for me to catch up just like Project Anchorage for Fallout 3. It’s just that DLC isn’t like waiting to buy a game from a store. I have to see it sitting there, ready to be purchased every time I log on to Live. I can’t just avoid Best Buy for a while. You know what would make this DLC irresistible? Support for Avatars! I mean look at that guy in the pic. He’s got street cred, right? The fact that everyone else in the game looks more or less normal would make it even better to see this freak job trying to fit his massive head into a hatchback after carjacking it.

Even though I may not play the new stuff for a while, it’d be nice to see it there and available. Let’s see how long I hold out.

This is what happens without editors

I'm Marcus Pelegrimas, author of the SKINNERS series. Here you'll find various ramblings about movies, video games, TV, and...oh yeah...those books I write. If there's anything you'd like to discuss, just let me know. I try to update whenever the mood strikes me, so feel free to leave comments. There may be some occasional foul language, but anyone who's too easily offended probably doesn't read my stuff anyway.

Free Stuff

Here's how it goes. As usual, I've got my truckload of promo covers from EOS Books. I'll be going to some conventions, so I hope to see you there and I'll gladly sign your books. If you can't make it to a con, just email me your name, address and any inscription so I can send you a signed cover.


BONUS ---> If you would be so kind as to write up a review for any or all Skinners books and publish it on a site like Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Borders, or any other major review site, I can send you something extra. I made up some bookmarks (which I'll sign) and I've even put together some Shimmy's VIP passes (which I'll also sign). Can't guarantee the passes will get you into a real strip club, but I think they look pretty cool. Send me a link to your review along with your name, address and inscription, and I'll get these out to you as well.