Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thursday the 12th doesn't have the same punch


So my first, gut-level reaction to a Friday the 13th remake is, “Why??”
That would be before I saw the Halloween remake done by Rob Zombie, which was actually pretty good. Slasher movies in general are low budget affairs that sink whatever money they have into corn syrup and red food coloring. Now, that doesn’t mean they should become big-budget effects movies but “low budget” back in the 70’s and 80’s looks a whole lot different than “low budget” today. House of 1000 Corpses was technically low-budget, but it beat the hell out of a lot of fancier horror movies.

Also, there are varying kinds of remakes. If this is more of a tribute instead of the dreaded “double dip”, I’m fine with it. I’ve got to admit that I’m looking forward to the series being started up again in a new light (but not TOO new). There’s just something cooler about slashers as opposed to serial killers or your run-of-the-mill psychos. Slashers are more like monsters instead of just crazy dudes. Jason, Freddy, Michael Meyers (the killer, not the Man of Mystery…although Love Guru made me wish for a machete through my skull) are more than crazy. They’re special.

You gotta love what you’re doing and Jason truly loves separating wailing young people from their various body parts. After watching American Idol last night, I know that kind of love very well. Rob Zombie obviously loves horror in all its glorious forms and it shows in everything he does. If the folks who made the new 13th movie love the source material, it will show. We’ll just have to see, but I’m keeping my hopes up.

I’m even feeling good about the upcoming remake of The Wolf Man. Show some respect and all will be fine.

This is what happens without editors

I'm Marcus Pelegrimas, author of the SKINNERS series. Here you'll find various ramblings about movies, video games, TV, and...oh yeah...those books I write. If there's anything you'd like to discuss, just let me know. I try to update whenever the mood strikes me, so feel free to leave comments. There may be some occasional foul language, but anyone who's too easily offended probably doesn't read my stuff anyway.

Free Stuff

Here's how it goes. As usual, I've got my truckload of promo covers from EOS Books. I'll be going to some conventions, so I hope to see you there and I'll gladly sign your books. If you can't make it to a con, just email me your name, address and any inscription so I can send you a signed cover.


BONUS ---> If you would be so kind as to write up a review for any or all Skinners books and publish it on a site like Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Borders, or any other major review site, I can send you something extra. I made up some bookmarks (which I'll sign) and I've even put together some Shimmy's VIP passes (which I'll also sign). Can't guarantee the passes will get you into a real strip club, but I think they look pretty cool. Send me a link to your review along with your name, address and inscription, and I'll get these out to you as well.