Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Mini-spree

My tax returns came in today, so the wife and I hit Best Buy pretty hard. I meant to just go out and pick up the new Futurama DVD and wound up picking up a bunch of stuff that was nice and cheap. I spotted a few sets including anywhere from 20 to 50 movies with intriguing labels like "Exploitation Festival Pack" or "Drive-In Madness vol. 1-3". Lots of good, crappy movies to be found on those and many of them are Mystery Science Theater fodder without the quips. One other notable set that was an insta-buy was the first season of Confessions of a Call Girl, a series on Showtime where the lead role is played by Billie Piper, the extraordinarily hot and deliciously British actress who plays Rose on the new Doctor Who. The icing on the cake is that my wife was the one who found the DVD set. Seeing her hand that to me was great on so many levels.

I did get the Futurama DVD, which also reminded me that I need to pick up the previous one. Also, I picked up the new Mummy movie, something about a Dragon Emperor. I'm a fan of Jet Li in pretty much anything. I'd like to give the second Scorpion King movie a shot since it's probably really cheap also. Babylon AD was marked way down, so I got it. I know, I know. Vin Diesel, what was I thinking? It looks like a cool, cheesy action flick and it should be pretty obvious how much I like that sort of nonsense. You might be asking yourself why I don't rent this stuff. Well, I often don't know when the movie-watchin' urge will strike and it's nice to have them all there when it's well past 1 or 2 in the AM and I feel like turning my brain off. Also, Blockbuster doesn't like it when I schlep in there wearing my pajama pants and a coffee-stained flannel robe. We've got pay-per-view channels, but it never fails that I want to watch something the moment it's no longer available on there. Also, since I've been neglecting my more expensive vices, I figure I'm still coming out ahead this way.

There were a few other movies I picked up on sale, but I also got the new Puzzle Quest: Galactrix game for the DS. If you've never played the first Puzzle Quest, you're missing out. It's a combination of Bejeweled and a fantasy rpg which actually works VERY well. The new one is a combo of Hexic and a sci-fi rpg which has already sunk its hooks into me. That should hold me over until later in March when Madworld and Resident Evil 5 come out.

This is what happens without editors

I'm Marcus Pelegrimas, author of the SKINNERS series. Here you'll find various ramblings about movies, video games, TV, and...oh yeah...those books I write. If there's anything you'd like to discuss, just let me know. I try to update whenever the mood strikes me, so feel free to leave comments. There may be some occasional foul language, but anyone who's too easily offended probably doesn't read my stuff anyway.

Free Stuff

Here's how it goes. As usual, I've got my truckload of promo covers from EOS Books. I'll be going to some conventions, so I hope to see you there and I'll gladly sign your books. If you can't make it to a con, just email me your name, address and any inscription so I can send you a signed cover.


BONUS ---> If you would be so kind as to write up a review for any or all Skinners books and publish it on a site like Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Borders, or any other major review site, I can send you something extra. I made up some bookmarks (which I'll sign) and I've even put together some Shimmy's VIP passes (which I'll also sign). Can't guarantee the passes will get you into a real strip club, but I think they look pretty cool. Send me a link to your review along with your name, address and inscription, and I'll get these out to you as well.