Saturday, February 28, 2009

I can still hear the Grunge



My gaming geekery goes back a LONG way. All the way back to some system back in the '70's (pre Atari 2600) that was a triangle with a steering wheel on one side, a set of pong paddles on another and a plastic gun for a pixelated cowboy quick-draw game on the third. The cartridges fit into the top and they were triangles too. If anyone reading this knows what I'm talking about, let me know. I don't remember the brand name, but I remember I played the hell out of it. I loved my 2600. I loved my NES even more, but I loved my Sega Genesis most of all. There was just something about those Sega games that still make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.


After my Genesis finally crapped out (and after I stopped crying) I purchased a Sonic compilation for the PS2, which was pretty cool. Mostly, I got it for Sonic Spinball. I don't care how much grief that game gets, I love it! When I stopped playing my PS2 so much, I got that one on the Wii Virtual Console. Oh, Happy DAY!! I was even happier when the Streets of Rage games came out on the VC. I didn't get any of this stuff on the XBox Live Arcade, although I was tempted. I did, however, pick up the new Sega Genesis compilation for the 360. Let me tell you, it is GLORIOUS.



It's got all the Sonics (well, the better ones anyway), all three Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, the list goes on and on. They also polished the graphics just enough so they stand up to HD TVs. They still look 16 bit, but not painfully so. You can save your game at any time and I've got to admit. . .getting an Achievement for Spinball made my day. Now, to complete the walk down Amnesia Lane, I'll throw on some Nirvana, watch a few episodes of Renegade (Yeah...the TV show with Lorenzo Lamas as "an outlaw chasing outlaws") and top it off with a few of the X-Men cartoons where they really got the mutants right. Viva la 90's!!!!

This is what happens without editors

I'm Marcus Pelegrimas, author of the SKINNERS series. Here you'll find various ramblings about movies, video games, TV, and...oh yeah...those books I write. If there's anything you'd like to discuss, just let me know. I try to update whenever the mood strikes me, so feel free to leave comments. There may be some occasional foul language, but anyone who's too easily offended probably doesn't read my stuff anyway.

Free Stuff

Here's how it goes. As usual, I've got my truckload of promo covers from EOS Books. I'll be going to some conventions, so I hope to see you there and I'll gladly sign your books. If you can't make it to a con, just email me your name, address and any inscription so I can send you a signed cover.


BONUS ---> If you would be so kind as to write up a review for any or all Skinners books and publish it on a site like Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Borders, or any other major review site, I can send you something extra. I made up some bookmarks (which I'll sign) and I've even put together some Shimmy's VIP passes (which I'll also sign). Can't guarantee the passes will get you into a real strip club, but I think they look pretty cool. Send me a link to your review along with your name, address and inscription, and I'll get these out to you as well.