Thursday, September 4, 2008

What's my problem??


First of all, I love to read. Let’s just get that out of the way right now. Makes sense, right? I write books, so I like books. It follows I’d like to read books. The sucky part is that, when I’ve really got my nose to the ol’ grindstone and am writing away, I don’t really read that much. I know authors who read voraciously and they keep up on everything out there. I truly wish I was like that. What happens to me is, after a hard day of writing, I don’t feel like looking at more printed words. That sounds horrible, I know, but it’s true. It’s like I’ve spent my whole day cooking pizza and the last thing I want when I’m through is to eat more pizza!

I’ve got so many books piled up that I need to read, it’s just ridiculous. When I make time to crack open a book, I really love it. Sometimes, though, blowing stuff up in a video game or switching my brain off to watch crappy TV is the equivalent of stuffing some burgers down my throat instead of cooking a good meal. More food references, huh? Maybe I’m hungry.

This really does bug me. As a writer, I should be able to plow through a couple books at a time (like other writers I know) and spout off all the textures of every new release. Damn, I wish I could do that. My little pea brain just gets chafed or something. Maybe I’m just lazy. Yeah, that’s probably a little bit of it. Short attention span? Ok…I’ll admit to that one too. Not all the time, but…what was I saying?

Another sad personal fact is that I’m a sloooooooow reader. I’m not exactly stupid (although some may disagree on that), but I just don’t like to skim. My wife devours books and even finds time to re-read them. She admits to skimming, but I just can’t do that. I want to read every word and if I happen to space out a paragraph or two, I’ll go back. This amounts to taking a lot of time to make it through a book. Eh, I just need to put down the Xbox controller more and haul my ass away from all those wonderfully bad Sci-Fi Channel movies and read.

This public service announcement brought to you by Reading.
READING. It’s what’s for dinner.

This is what happens without editors

I'm Marcus Pelegrimas, author of the SKINNERS series. Here you'll find various ramblings about movies, video games, TV, and...oh yeah...those books I write. If there's anything you'd like to discuss, just let me know. I try to update whenever the mood strikes me, so feel free to leave comments. There may be some occasional foul language, but anyone who's too easily offended probably doesn't read my stuff anyway.

Free Stuff

Here's how it goes. As usual, I've got my truckload of promo covers from EOS Books. I'll be going to some conventions, so I hope to see you there and I'll gladly sign your books. If you can't make it to a con, just email me your name, address and any inscription so I can send you a signed cover.


BONUS ---> If you would be so kind as to write up a review for any or all Skinners books and publish it on a site like Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Borders, or any other major review site, I can send you something extra. I made up some bookmarks (which I'll sign) and I've even put together some Shimmy's VIP passes (which I'll also sign). Can't guarantee the passes will get you into a real strip club, but I think they look pretty cool. Send me a link to your review along with your name, address and inscription, and I'll get these out to you as well.