Friday, July 10, 2009

Rounding third

No, I'm not talking about THAT third base. I finished draft 3 of Skinners 3 earlier this morning and am taking a few days off. Feels like I was just talking about this in regards to draft 2, doesn't it? To YOU, maybe! It feels like I've been doing this draft for about 3.8 months. What separates this draft from the others is that Megan will read it. I've found that she's a great editor, but not so objective when I'm talking to her about one cool part I wrote or some other fight scene that worked really well or a twist that I hope will land. With me blabbing on like that, she can't really read it as a true reader. She already knows what's coming, so of course it all flows. When I keep my mouth shut, she can read it with fresh eyes. Of course, the drawback to that is I can't share my proud work moments with her as I'm writing them. Considering my caliber of writing, those moments are few and far between.It's kinda nice to talk about them to SOMEbody. But it all pays off when she reads it and genuinely enjoys doing so.

At least I hope she enjoys it. If my own wife tells me something sucks, that's a stinger. On the other hand, I want her to tell me if it sucks so I can fix it. She's responsible for some major changes in Blood Blade. Because of her, I removed the entire prologue and wrote a completely different one. It worked out a LOT better. She knows her stuff.

This weekend, I plan on digging into some comics, catching up on my other reading and getting into some Fallout 3. It's been too long since I've wandered the post-apocalyptic landscape, blowing mutants' heads off and listening to The Ink Spots.

This is what happens without editors

I'm Marcus Pelegrimas, author of the SKINNERS series. Here you'll find various ramblings about movies, video games, TV, and...oh yeah...those books I write. If there's anything you'd like to discuss, just let me know. I try to update whenever the mood strikes me, so feel free to leave comments. There may be some occasional foul language, but anyone who's too easily offended probably doesn't read my stuff anyway.

Free Stuff

Here's how it goes. As usual, I've got my truckload of promo covers from EOS Books. I'll be going to some conventions, so I hope to see you there and I'll gladly sign your books. If you can't make it to a con, just email me your name, address and any inscription so I can send you a signed cover.


BONUS ---> If you would be so kind as to write up a review for any or all Skinners books and publish it on a site like Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Borders, or any other major review site, I can send you something extra. I made up some bookmarks (which I'll sign) and I've even put together some Shimmy's VIP passes (which I'll also sign). Can't guarantee the passes will get you into a real strip club, but I think they look pretty cool. Send me a link to your review along with your name, address and inscription, and I'll get these out to you as well.